Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Cycling from Hull to Cambridge over Two Days via Sustrans 1 - Day 0 Getting to Hull

My plan was to catch a train from Cambridge to Stevenage at 19:28, it would arrive at 20:03 where I would transfer to a Hull Trains train at 20:30 and arrive in Hull at 22:50. Although I only had a short distance to cycle to the station I set out earlier so that if I had a puncture or some other mechanical issue I still stood a reasonable chance of catching the Stevenage to Hull train. The fall back was catching a train at 19:55 but I would have to change trains 4 times and arrive in Hull at 00:02. Since I wanted to get a reasonable nights sleep before my journey I wanted to avoid that if I could.


Nothing happened on the journey to the station and I caught a train 30 minutes earlier to Stevenage, the plan was to allow plenty of time to change trains and get prepared. when catching trains from Cambridge the London bound trains do not have bicycle areas and you have to prop the bikes up in the doorways. Cambridge is unusual in having more platforms on one side than the other. This means that you sometimes have to move the bike from the door on one side of the carriage to the other. On a Sunday evening the train was not too busy, but someone insisted on having a loud phone conversation - don't they realise that the mobile phone transmits their voice? Also just by my bike a young lad was running around and yes my bike fell over. Fortunately I had taken the pannier off and nothing got broken. I don't think it was the lads fault I think it as caused by the train going over points. It does irritate me though - it does not happen all the time but I have had my bike fall over three times on these trains over the years.


This is how the bike has to be jammed up to avoid blocking the corridor and switched if the platform is on the other side.


DSC08539.JPG






When I got to Stevenage I carried the bike over to the ticket area to check the monitors to find out which platform my train was stopping at. It was not on the screens so I asked one of the staff who couldn't find it on her hand-held terminal but after taking it apart and putting it back together managed to find it so I carried the bike plus stuff up and down the stairs to cross to the correct platform and on her advice checked with the conductor staff to fins where I would have to stand to get my bike on the train. They had different information, the train I was on and had my bike booked on had been cancelled! The good news though was that I could catch a slightly earlier train to Doncaster and change there. A strange business where they sell you a ticket the day before and then cancel the train 24 hours later. I am not surprised that some train companies are not making a profit. They did know where I was supposed to stand though - right down at the very, very end of the platform. I just hoped that despite not having a booking and travelling with another Train Operating Company (National Express) I would be able to get my bike and that I would be able to get a convenient train for Hull at Doncaster.


The train arrived on time, the guard unlocked the luggage area in the rear train unit and I got my bike on - there were six spaces and my bike was the only one - there was a strap which I used to secure the bike but was a bit worried about it banging around. I then got off and in order not to delay the train was asked to get on the adjacent First Class carriage and walk though carrying my helmet and pannier. After traipsing through a couple of carriages and then the buffet car I found that the Second class carriages were almost full and some people were sitting on the floor at the end of the carriages. So I plonked myself down and checked using my phone to provide an Internet connection on the Doncaster to Hull train times. That was a waste of time as it turned out that someone had pulled the Emergency handle somewhere on the train. They used to be called Communication Cord, I think, when I was younger. It turned out that the train guard had pulled it as the train had dragging brakes on one side of one carriage and the driver needed to check it out. The side of the carriage was facing the line where trains were whizzing by at up to 120mph and nothing could be done until they had put a block on the line to stop trains using it to allow our driver time for his inspection. In the end we left around 30 minutes late.


As I sat there I wished that I had bought a First Class ticket - it was incredibly hot and sweaty, but at least there was a buffet car and I could get a snack and drink. The train's next stop was Peterborough where we had another delay, because we were now running late other "on-time" trains got the priority in the end we got into Doncaster 40minutes late close to 22:00, where there was a train at 22:04 and then a train at 23:04 to Hull for a journey of an hour. It was looking as if I was going to have to run through Doncaster station carrying my bike up and down stairs - oh joy, but better than hanging around a station for an hour to get into Hull after midnight.


I checked with the train guard who suggested that I follow him down the train and that he would unlock my bike as soon as we arrived and as good as his word I had my bike and luggage off the train in no time, ran to the monitors and found which platform I was supposed to be catching the Hull train from and ran through with a couple of minutes to spare. Here is the view whilst waiting for the Hull train - I was not sure which way to look but a diesel unit turned up on time.


DSC08542.JPG


There wasn't anyone around to find out where to stand to load my bike on the train so I hung around the middle.




DSC08540.JPG


The train arrived from the other direction and I headed for a door, it was the wrong one so I moved further down and got my bike and stuff on the train In this case there were spaces for two bikes with wheel bending slots so I sat with my bike and used the pannier to help brace the bike. The toilet was also conveniently alongside, but unlike some trains I have been on did not emit an obnoxious smell into the corridor.


DSC08543.JPG




This train was a lot bumpier than the previous one and I had to support the bike as we rattled along. There were a few extra dints on the tubes from the ride to Doncaster, I did not want a bent wheel before I got to Hull. After a few stops we reached Hull with monitors warning that trains had now stopped running for the night - maybe I should not leave my Sunday train journeys as late next time. I walked out of the station which seems to be larger than the one at Doncaster although not on any main railway lines past a group of several families trying to persuade a taxi driver that they and all there luggage would fit into his taxi - no way. I walked out of the station and yes the hotel was right next door, in fact the hotel and railway station connected with the Hotel's dining room looking out onto the station ticket area.


I wheeled my bike into the hotel and although the staff were quite young they knew who I was and that they had promised to look after my bike and got me a room key sorted. They certainly provided welcome and reassurance unlike the train journey with cancelled and delayed trains. Mind you the guard on the Stevenage to Doncaster train was also very helpful. Still I was in bed by 23.30 and planned to get up early have a quick walk around and then have an early breakfast before cycling back the way I had come! One thing - I must remember to put pipe insulation around the bicycle frame before "entrusting" it to the care of railway operators.




Should protect bike with pipe insulation

No comments:

Post a Comment