Friday, October 24, 2008

Bikes paths and roads

Not cycling is getting to be a bad habit, I did not manage to get out again today. I was thinking about getting up early (6.30am)- but it was too cold and gloomy outside and because I'd spent the previous couple of days getting too much sleep I couldn't sleep last night. My hotel room was in the basement and I could also hear people walking about above me which is a bit off-putting.

On returning to Cambridge in the car I ended up going around the M25 during the rush hour and it was its usual stop-start crawl - karma for the recent pictures I've taken of queues of traffic. However it got me thinking about the constant battle that the media seems to stir up between cyclists and motorists. I do both (cycle and drive - not stir up the battle!), although for choice I prefer to cycle. The other month I had a meeting in Ipswich, I cycled to the local railway station hopped onto the train and armed with my Google Map of directions cycled to my destination, locked my bike to convenient cycle stand a short distance away no fuss whatsoever. The cost was around a tenth of that I could have claimed for the cost of the petrol and much less hassle since I did not have to worry about parking (or even one-way streets since on a bike you can hop off and walk.)

Anyway back to bikes and cars, I do both, but my annual cycliing mileage is higher, and even have a motorcycle licence - the worst or best of both worlds? It seems that the common complaint about cyclists is that they pay no road tax and run through red lights, whilst for cyclists the problem is that motorists are a threat to life and limb with the often used phrase - smidsy - "Sorry mate I did not see you". When cycling I have been sworn at and told to "get off the road and onto the cycle path where I belong". I have had an older driver bump into the back of my bicycle - he was oblivious. I have been cycling along at 32Km/h/20mph in a bright yellow jacket (and other apprpriate gear of course) when a car driver, at a T-junction, whilst staring right at me pulled out in front of me as they turned right. I only just managed to stop and skidded right up to the car - the driver froze and stopped at right angles to the oncoming traffic - dumbfounded by the sudden appearance of a bright yellow jacketed cross-looking bloke on a bike. She did apologise - it was a "smidsy".

When in my car I have been amazed to see cyclists cycle right past red traffic lights and weave past cars causing them to swerve. Frequently cyclists will pull out of a side road, barely slowing and although they know they are going to cycle close to the kerb the car driver has to slow down and move to the right to give them more room (if possible). the cyclist does not always appreciate the impact she/he has on the car drivers. The trouble is that, in the main, driving on Britain's roads is rarely a pleasant task, there are frequent hold ups, the roads are congested and motorists, when stuck in traffic jams focus that irritation on the cyclists who are seemingly unimpeded and getting a bit of exercise as well. The cyclists view the cars as getting disproportionate attention, despite their polluting nature,a car (or truck) takes up a lot of space and can be lethal to a cyclist who is told to put on all sorts of bright gear to make up for the failings of car drivers!

This brings me onto bike paths. The ride from Bath to Bristol and back make me think about the argument that rages in the cycling world as to whether cycle paths are good or bad. The argument against is that they turn cyclists into second class citizens, are appallingly built and often create conflict for the cyclist with everyone including cars, pedestrians and other cyclists. (Think of a shared footpath/cycle path that has areas for cars to cross it for instance into pub car parks.) It is not pleasant to be either a cyclist of pedestrian when a cyclist, late for work is barreling along. Similarly two cyclists can hardly pass each other and at night if both have lights (not always the case) then they tend to blind each other making it even harder to pass.

On the other hand a lightly used shared path is great for children or a "joyride" away from the traffic. So the key test is are they fit for purpose and in my view they are not - they are not really fit for moving large numbers of cyclists safely (for cyclists and others) around efficiently. Some are great to recreation. many are more pleasant than cycling on the road (in my view). However They simply aren't built to a standard to encourage more cyclists out safely. If you think I am kidding take a look at this web site: http://www.warringtoncyclecampaign.co.uk/facility-of-the-month/%22 - it is actually quite funny how some of the cycle lanes actually got built.

You can tell from this rant that getting stuck in traffic jams does not agree with me and does not even allow time for taking photographs. I cannot wait to get started on the B2S ride - and I bet a few of you are thinking the same - then you might get something interesting to read!

No comments:

Post a Comment