Thursday, January 21, 2010

Yet more Fen Field and Lode Pictures - with HDR

Today was a quick, (quickish), late spin up to and round Wicken Fen on my own. I had a lunch meeting and couldn't resist the steak and ale pie and chips - well you have to support your local pubs don't you. So as a form of penance I popped out for a quick ride at the end of the day. The sun was out and so it was quite pleasant and instead of just cycling I found myself stopping to take a few pictures as well. I also discovered the Google and "Street-mapped" various paths around the internal Wicken Fen paths - here is a pointer! I generally cycle around the public parts of Wicken Fen - it is managed and owned by the National Trust and for a fee or if you are a member you can explore the interior. As it happens I am a member and enjoy walking around the interior - they do not normally allow bikes in through, Google must have had a special dispensation.


So a quick ride needs a fast blog - a flooded field on the Sustrans 51 route - somewhere between Bottisham and Swaffham Bulbeck - the birds enjoy it. I am surprised that the farmer has not tried to drain the area. Actually they probably have or it is way too expensive given the returns they get from farming.


P1030640_1_2_3_4_5_6_tonemapped.jpg


The skies were almost blue and the sun definitely looks bigger when it is setting! I took several pictures here - but there is a problem with taking multiple exposures with plants waving in the foreground - they create very odd shapes in the composite -sort of ghostly blobs.




P1030654_55_56_57_58_59_60_tonemapped.jpg


The fields are already showing signs of plant life - apparently there was a problem with sowing Oil See Rape last year which caused a hit to the yields - so farmers are not wanting to be caught out this year. Mind you I am not sure what is being grown here. I was drawn to the picture by the lines of the plants pointing out towards the edge of the field.




P1030682_3_4_5_6_7_8_tonemapped.jpg


I have mentioned the track through Wicken Fen a few times - well it is still pretty muddy and requires a bit of concentration to cycle through- here it is looking back up towards the cafe/entrance building.


P1030710.JPG


There is still ice on Wicken Lode, it seems to lie in the shade/




P1030696_697_698_699_700_701_702_tonemapped.jpg


By the time I got around to Burwell Lode the sun had pretty much set - but it was still so I tried a few picture (for later HDR-ing) Here is the wide-angle version.




P1030712_3_4_6_7_8_tonemapped.jpg


The same aspect but zoomed in a little. There is a small bridge and I used the bridge railings to brace the camera.




P1030726_27_28_29_30_31_32_tonemapped.jpg


The shot repeated but zoomed to the maximum of my camera. The is work on the banks taking place up here as well - the Environment Agency has been busy.


P1030733_4_5_6_7_8_9_tonemapped.jpg


By this time it was too dark and so I was able to scurry on home - despite me stopping to take pictures a faster run than most over the last few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment