Saturday, October 4, 2014

Rides around Lodes Way– on three different days

Friday, 27th June 2014: Sometimes you just have to fit in your cycling around the weather, which means taking a chance sometimes.  It is always tempting to head out on a Friday afternoon – POETs day has a strong psychological pull – well for me anyway. When there is rain around I tend not to take so many pictures – I try to avoid getting wet if I can.

I often cycle out to Wicken Fen via Upware and back on Lodes Way.  Unless it is really wet I tend to cross the A1123  and then use Docking’s Lane to get to NCN11.  I have to have my wits about me on my Hybrid bike (Maisie) with 25mm tyres, but on my 29er (Tillie) it is pretty easy – I except my back gets splattered as I ride through the puddles in the ruts.  The sky threatened rain and there were spots around.

Spuds growing alongside Docking’s Lane

The first sign of trouble tends to be the wind picking up. it was pretty calm as i cycled through Wicken Fen along NCN11.

Longboat – Monk’s Lode (near Norman’s Bridge)

There was definitely rain around.

Reach Lode

Sunday, 29th June 2014:

There was quite a lot of serious rain on Saturday afternoon, so I did some chores around the house instead. By Sunday I was going a bit stir-crazy so I went out, without worrying about the weather. There was even more rain. I got wet, although not as wet as the weather record for that day might suggest.

Potatoes growing in a field alongside White Fen
They benefitted form some rain

Onions – they probably also benefitted from the rain
Great Drove

Reach Lode

When you know you are going to get wet when cycling and just accept it, it isn’t as bad as you think it might be.

Monday, 30th June 2014: After the last few days rain, Monday was meant to be dry – well it would have been rude not to have a quick spin out and about.

For a change out I headed out on NCN51 through the Swaffhams, before turning down a byway just before Reach Bridge. Which takes you along Barston Drove skirting Church Hill.

Rosebay Willowherb (Epilobium angustifolium or Fireweed or Chamerion angustifolium)growing alongside Barston Drove.

Rosebay Willowherb – Barston Drove - Reach

The hill isn’t that high, about 18m with the Drove at 4-5m.  I have gotten a snakebite cycling down  Green Lane though. (Where the inner tube gets nipped by the wheel rim and so gets two holes.)

Church Hill seen from Barston Drove

Electricity Pylons from Straight Drove

Unnamed Drove heading towards Commissioners’ Drain

Track to Spinney Abbey (Farm)

No comments:

Post a Comment