Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Cycling from Hull to Cambridge over Two Days via Sustrans 1 - Day 1 Lincoln to Boston Part 2

As I continued on from Lincoln to Hull l think that I became over-critical of the route after it switched from the Water Rail Way (off-road route following a disused railway line) to the road because the road verges were less interesting and because there were no information boards to bring alive the scenes I saw as I cycled along. It was the cycling equivalent of cycling along a major road after spending time admiring views on a country road. The actual condition of the road was good and it was pretty much traffic free - but with speed comes indifference to the passing countryside.


Here is an interesting disused bridge - there is a more conventional flat bridge made form concrete alongside. There were barriers to cars - but I assume that it was still alright to walk (or cycle) across, but with no information there was little to hold my interest. Perhaps I needs a GPS system with an Internet connection to allow me to dig deeper into what the things I can see mean and perhaps also book mark them alongside with tags so that my pictures are also automatically "Geo-tagged" to use the terminology. That way when I look at my pictures in years to come it will be easier to understand the context.


Whilst writing this blog I tend to look up things on the Internet and this place is called Tattershall Bridge - there is not much on the Internet though so I am none the wiser about this place. I like this style of bridge though. Presumably it was more expensive to repair this bridge than to build a new one. I imagine that it is the big haulage lorries that do the damage.


DSC08797.JPG


On the Water Rail Way cycle track one of the information boards had highlighted the fact that during World War II there were up to 49 air bases in the Lincolnshire area. Partly because of its proximity to the "enemy" and partly because it is so flat and therefore it is easy to construct many airfields. Most of the airfields have disappeared but I was reminded that not all have gone as I heard the scream of a Tornado (I think). In th full size version of the photograph below it looks like a car headlight in the sky. The reduced size version looks like a speck of dirt on the lens.


DSC08800.JPG


I managed to get this slightly closer shot of the aircraft as it turned. It was not a Tornado - as I had first thought; it was a Eurofighter -the wing-bits (canards?) at the front of the fuselage give it away.


DSC08802.JPG


Then I saw a blue field - not really blue mainly green with blue flowers of the Linseed plant


DSC08805.JPG


The weather stayed very pleasant all day - not too hot, but certainly not cold and because the sky was slightly overcast I was not too worried about sun-burn, although I did have some lotion on from earlier in the day. This is a picture of the sun shining through gaps in the clouds of on the horizon.


DSC08810.JPG


As I passed over a bridge at Chapel Hill this view of various boats, some of which look like they were being used as full-time dwellings reminded me of my trip cycling through Vietnam. Where there are lots of rivers and waterways the river plays an important part in the overall economy - including somewhere to live.


DSC08813.JPG


A novel use of an old tractor - somewhere to show of the nasturtiums.


DSC08815.JPG


This is what I mean by slightly boring - flat, good tarmac quality, no cars but visually uninteresting.


DSC08816.JPG


Fortunately the route rejoins the disused railway line as it approaches Boston at Langrick Bridge. Even with my GPS I was a little uncertain where to go. The route indication looked as if I had to cycle through some gardens. Then I noticed these set into the surface of a pub car park.


DSC08819.JPG


I did not see a sign actually pointing into the car park just one in the general direction, but once I spotted route it was a relief to be off the road again.


DSC08820.JPG


The surface of this part of the Water Rail Way was the best yet, flat and I passed a few cyclists on this part - good cycle "roads" are more attractive than poor surfaces.


DSC08825.JPG


As before the route followed alongside the river.


DSC08828.JPG


There were also some sculptures and information boards along the way. Even though I was 90+ miles/ 150Km + and getting quite tired I still stopped at each Board and read the information.


DSC08830.JPG


I also took pictures of each work of art.


DSC08832.JPG


TA welcome sight - what I assumed was Boston. The church turned out to be St Botolph's, known locally as the "Stump". (The GPS also confirmed that it was Boston.)


DSC08833.JPG


Still time for one or two works of art though before arriving int Boston.


DSC08835.JPG


A view of the route from the Boston Pendulum. A construction offering a vantage point across the River Witham.


DSC08843.JPG


Descending the Boston Pendulum.




DSC08847.JPG


The "Stump" as I arrived into Boston the influence of the river on the town was clear.


DSC08848.JPG


Once again finding my hotel was easy - the GPS was great - getting lost when you are tired in a busy town is not fun - but I didn't.


One observation though. I wonder why it was not possible to reclaim all of the disused railway for the path? Several times I noticed rather hostile Warnings by the side of the path. Closer to Lincoln there were signs warning danger Rat Poison in fields alongside the path. I wonder if the only purpose was to scare off dog owners. Close to Boston there were signs warning that adjacent land was private and no dogs, no children ... no nothing were allowed in. Yet the land itself was derelict and overgrown. Perhaps some landowners feel cheated that they could not acquire the path where it was adjacent to there land. To me it seemed to be small-minded I applaud all who have helped create an idyllic route from Lincoln to Boston.



No comments:

Post a Comment