Thursday, April 22, 2010

Tins path to the Station

I had an afternoon meeting in London today. Given the challenge finding a bicycle parking space at the Cambridge Railway Station I did consider taking my Brompton - but the meeting was being held in an office I had not visited before - and so was not sure quite how to cycle there. Also we generally have a post-meeting debrief elsewhere - a pint in a local pub afterwards which compounds the problems. Now it is not impossible to take my Brompton under these circumstances but it is more hassle when you have a bike and bag to keep an eye on.


So in the end I decided to set off for the station slightly early to give me time to hunt around. As I was returning after the Station Cycles closing time I did not have the option of leaving my bike there. (It costs £1.50 for a day - and is good for peace of mind.) It was also a lovely sunny day and I just could not bring myself to cycle in long trousers, so I set of in shorts and shirt - with a pair of long trousers, jumper and bright yellow fluorescent jacket just in case it got too cold. I also took a front light with me for the return cycle part of the journey. The trip to the Station was lovely - I took a path known as the Tins Path which is also slated for some improvements along with other areas of Cambridge as part of - "£7.2Million Cycle Improvements Ride Forward". It is a pleasant route into town from the Cherry Hinton direction - but caries significantly in terms of the overall quality of the path.


The cycle bit of the route starts path just of Coldhams Lane where you turn down an almost hidden path just after Katherine Elliot Way. You then end up on a broad pink tarmac cycle path and pass a large Gym complex and then a Holiday Inn Express. You have to be a little careful going past the Gym as you get a downhill run (don't expect it to be too steep - this is Cambridge) and tired "exercisers" don't always seem to have the energy to look before they cross the path to the Gym car park.


I had to stop and take a picture of the Holiday Inn car park. There seemed to be a Satellite TV Installers Conference going on judging by all of the Vans in the car park. It would seem that they do not use bicycles at all as the cycle parking was empty.


HolInnXpress -Sky convention_Panorama1.JPG


The path the reverts to the type of path I more normally associate with share use cycle/pedestrian paths when it crosses the Ipswich to Cambridge Railway Line (apparently Ipswich to Ely with a branch line to Cambridge). Seen here - it looks as if the line was originally built for two tracks.


DSC00239.JPG


The bridge over the line is rather narrow and a "blind" and steep approach from both sides. This is the Cherry Hinton side.




DSC00240.JPG


This is the Mill Road side.




DSC00241.JPG


Once you leave the bridge this is what you see. Although the camera accentuates the darkness - it is pretty dark - did you notice those two people walking up the path. (Wondering why I am taking the picture probably.)




DSC00242.JPG


Once your eyes get accustomed to the gloom the path itself, having been recently re-surfaced is fairly flat. It was very bumpy from all of the tree roots. The plan is to widen this assuming all the negotiations go through. It is tricky when two bicycles pass, especially next to the lampposts.




DSC00244.JPG


Although I left more time to find a cycle space I got luck this time and found one almost straight away. These stands are rather close together and there was a bike with a basket in the adjacent stand that appeared to be blocking the space I took. When I took the picture I did wonder will this be the last time I see my bike? The bag is an Altura bag designed for clipping easily on and off the rear rack of the bike. In this case there are a wodge of papers (so I can work on the train) along with trousers, jumper, bright yellow jacket and phone and money.




DSC00246.JPG


Getting out of London made me wish I had taken my Brompton - Oxford Circus Tube station was closed when I turned up - most people hung around - I had a 7.15 train to catch fortunately I got a taxi. At the station there was the inevitable hanging around until what seemed like seconds to go they tell you which platform to head for. At that point it seems as if everyone in the station makes a dash for the train to ensure they get a seat. But not everyone does. The problem is that if you catch an earlier train then they charge peak rate - the 7.15pm is the first non-peak rate trains and lots of people wait for it.


The ride home was very pleasant though - I did put on my fluorescent yellow jacket and use lights on my bike - it was not dark but getting gloomy and I took a different way home.

No comments:

Post a Comment