Monday, April 26, 2010

Leeks and Lodes - cycling around the Fens on a Sunny Sunday

I've long thought that you end up with one too many gadgets and certainly one too many software programs. Yesterday after writing a Post, using Zoundry Raven as my off-line editor, I kept getting an error and on checking the Blog no Post appeared. Of course the first ting I tried was publishing it again - no luck. The I closed and re-opened Zoundry - still no luck. In the end it turned out to be a a problem with my tagwords. The editor has a space to enter tagwords - with each one being separated by a "," only in this case I had started with a "," - it saved as soon as I deleted the extra ",".


The observant of you might also by wondering why I seem to be deleting random comments. I too thought they were random comments until I worked out how to get automatic e-mail notification of comments, to ensure I reply more promptly to any questions that get left. Anyway when I got the email notification it showed that there were a whole bunch of rather odd looking links in each of the ".", pointing at rather iffy bunch of web addresses. So I now delete them when I get the chance.


My Garmin GPS has also been "complaining" of a full memory, despite the memory being reported as having 291MB free of 465MB. So I have deleted all but one months history and it now shows 362MB free - so I will see how long it lasts. (The last time I had this problem was the 10th Jan 2010.)


At least the weather is staying fine - except that Sunday morning it was raining - hard. Fortunately by afternoon the weather had become fine once again with a few puffy clouds in a blue sky. Just the weather for a bit of meandering around the Fens. The rain did not seem to have muddied up the paths - it did freshen up the air though.


A view of Swaffham Bulbeck Lode - you can see how the water level is much higher than the surrounding land. I got stung climbing up the bank - the stinging nettles have sprung up as well (or stingles as my son used to call them when he was younger). The tingle did not last for too long though.


P1090194_88_89_90_91_92_93_tonemapped.jpg


The view of the farm tracks from the top of the Lode banking - the track has been improved as well as the drainage ditches cleared.




P1090201_195_196_197_198_199_200_tonemapped.jpg


There had been a bit of fly-tipping along Headlake Drove - part of the Lodes Way path being opened up through the Fens by the National Trust/Sustrans.




P1090208_2_3_4_5_6_7_tonemapped.jpg


I also saw a couple of cyclists coming the other way and if you look closely there is also a horse rider in the background along Split Drove.




P1090209.jpg


I was popping up Split Drove to take a look at the drainage culvert being built as part of the new Reach Lode bridge. They must be expecting a fair bit of flooding with a culvert this size. It could be a reaction to the flooding on the Cambridge Guided Busway (CGB) - once bitten twice shy.




P1090216_0_1_2_3_4_5_tonemapped.jpg


The Leek Locust (from outer space) has now moved onto another field - a bit further up the track.




P1090230_24_25_26_27_28_29_tonemapped.jpg


The field was also being irrigated - I think that it is to soften the ground so that the leeks don't get damaged when they are lifted.




P1090244_38_39_40_41_42_43_tonemapped.jpg


The weather is a bit changeable though - by the middle of my ride the clouds were back in the sky with only a bit of sunlight peeping through.




WF Panorama April 2010.jpg


I also saw four deer in a different part of the Fens - but they could well have been the deer I saw yesterday. I also had a couple of Sunday afternoon drivers get pretty close to me on the narrow country lanes.



No comments:

Post a Comment