Monday, June 14, 2010

A few photographs - yet another cycle through Wicken Fen

After yesterday's longer cycle ride around Duxford Airfield and back along some delightful byways I only had time for a quick trip around Wicken Fun today (Sunday). The other constraint on my time was the start of the Canadian Grand Prix at 5pm which I wanted to watch. despite the disappointment of the first Grand Prix - the excitement levels have been high since especially with McLaren appearing to be catching up with Red Bull. Unfortunately Williams will probably take a bit longer to bed in their new engine. They switched to Cosworth this year and it always seems to cause a hiccup.


Generally I do not take many pictures when out for a quick ride, especially in an area I visit frequently. I did catch up on various podcasts though including BBC Radio's Material World (10th June 2010). One of the pieces focused on the problems being faced by Conker trees. Or Horse Chestnut trees. Conker trees are under attack from two different problems - "bleeding canker" and "alien invaders". The first problem was first reported in the 1970s in the UK and is caused by a fungal pathogen. Apparently trees of between 10 and 30 years are most susceptible and can succumb in 3 to 5 years. Older trees can sometimes survive and recover, although they can be disfigured as major limbs drop.


The second problem is more recent, it was first reported in the UK in 2002 and has been spreading at around 40 to 60Km per year since. An alien moth lays eggs resulting in caterpillars living in the leaves of the tree. In fact so many caterpillars take up residence that the leaves turn brown and shrivel making it look as if the tree is going through a premature Autumn. The result is that it significantly weakens the tree and makes it more susceptible to other diseases (such as bleeding canker).


A group including the University of Hull, Bristol University and the Natural Environment Research Council has set up a project asking the public to participate in a survey. (Aimed more at schools/schoolchildren I think.) More information can be found at their website: ourweboflife.org.uk.


So whilst out I took some pictures of the leaves of a conker tree to check out when I got back. I have seen trees affected by the moth and they really do look as if Autumn has hit early. I have not really looked to see what the infestation looks like early in the season. Comparing my pictures with the pictures on the Website I think this tree is OK at the moment. I will keep on eye on some trees though - it has reached these parts though.


P1120359.JPG


Whilst out on Little Fen Drove I took a picture of a helpful sign near Tubney Fen - it might help me speed up my plant identification.




P1120361.JPG


I took a picture of a similar sign on the other side of Tubney Fen - most helpfully it features different plants - otherwise I would not have taken the picture! This is on the Straight Drove side.




P1120362.JPG


Straight Drove passes the new Reach Lode Bridge, which is still progressing. It seems that it also has attracted sightseers. There were two cars parked nearby. Hopefully more people will be inclined to walk or ride or cycle to see it.




P1120363.JPG


Whilst passing through Wicken Fen I took another picture of the plant I failed to identify in a recent post. I now think that it is Common Comfrey (Symphytum officinale). It looks very like the images in my Collins Complete Guide to British Wild Flowers. If you follow the Wikipedia link there it looks more like the Tuberous Comfrey (Symphytum tuberosum). Both the leaves and the colour it makes me wonder whether one of the sources has gotten it pictures mixed. Mind you in the book both types look remarkably similar, but the Tuberous variety is located mainly in the Northern parts of the UK,




P1120365.JPG


There were quite a few people out and about, the route does seem to be attracting more cyclists. Personally I think that it helps to have a circular route rather than a there and back route. Hopefully such a think will be possible with a combination of the Lodes Way and Sustrans 51/11. These two are heading back from Wicken Fen to Burwell on Little Fen Drove (Sustrans 11) with the bank of Burwell Lode behind them.




P1120368.JPG


I did not take pictures of all the cars parked around and about - but there were a lot. it highlights the dilemma - you want to attract people to visit and yet it would be much better if they were able to arrive by a more sustainable form of transport. This bunch were parked along Priory Drove by Priory Farm. There were a couple of other cars behind me.




P1120369.JPG


I then headed back on Sustrans 51 (as it diverts from 11 at Burwell). You can see the Sustrans sign in the background. The Reach village sign is unusual, I have not looked at it closely before. It is different on the other side. The arch reflects the ruined archway behind St Ethelreda's Church, the Fair, held every may Day is also signified. I am not sure about the yacht though! Apparently it was used as a port up to 200 years ago.




P1120370_1_2_tonemapped.JPG


The weather has been good for growing, sun and rain, recently - this is the Sustrans 51 path near Stone Bridge, between Swaffham Bulbeck and Bottisham. A wooden bridge was built for pedestrians and cyclists alongside Stone Bridge. At this time of year you run the gauntlet of the stingles cycling along here in shorts. I have not yet been stung - but maybe that was pushing my luck saying so!




P1120373.JPG


Perhaps next time I should carry a scythe or shears with me - although how would I explain that if I was stopped by the police!

No comments:

Post a Comment