Sunday, June 10, 2012

The Lurgy strikes again or flowers in the garden

Monday, 4th June 2012: My cricked neck didn’t get better it got more painful and then I woke up the next morning with a throat that wasn’t really sore and painful – it just felt so restricted I could barely swallow and it even seemed to constrict my breathing.  Apparently I also snored all night – but how was that possible it felt like I’d barely slept a wink. 

Ah well I won’t be able to make a fictitious whiplash claim, although there is the technical issue that I don’t live in Liverpool (the whiplash capital of Britain) and have not been in an accident recently. The article does not mention Cambridge, so I presume we don’t have a problem.

It seemed that I was getting, or rather had, what both my son and daughter had caught. The trouble is is the lurgy seemed to be quite long-lasting. My daughter was still coughing her way through the day and night. So whilst I don’t mind cycling with a cricked neck I do draw the line at cycling too much when I have some sort of lurgy infection.  I figure my body needs a rest when fighting germs. I can’t say I really feel like cycling either, when poorly.

We all know how serious man-flu is, well fortunately this was really only some sort of variation of a man-cold – obviously serious but not critical, hopefully.

My lack of cycling might also have something to do with the weather, not that warm, rain and drizzle through the day and  even some wind. However I needed a bit of fresh air, so in a brief dry path and whilst the was shining I went out to take a few pictures of flowers. I was hoping that the wind would not blow them around too much.

Now at this point I must admit that I am less familiar with garden flowers than wild flowers – so don’t rely too much on the names.

These are Foxgloves though – Digitalis purpurea and are a wild flower, but do get grown in gardens – well in ours anyway.

Foxgloves

Lupins or Lupinus

Lupins or Lupinus

And finally some Clematis.

Clematis “Nelly Moser”

And this looks pretty similar – but I am not sure whether it is the Nelly Moser variety, the coloured strips looked wider.

Clematis “Nelly Moser” – maybe

I like this – the deep crimson colour seems to have a texture to it. Although this colour chart (at the bottom of the link) suggests it is more of a burgundy colour.

Clematis

The purple against the green of the leaves is also rather nice.

Clematis

It then started to rain again – I was planning on going out to get pictures of the flowers with water droplets on them – but the best laid plans…

2 comments:

  1. Swaffham Bulbeck CyclistJune 10, 2012 at 6:34 PM

    Hi JME
    Hope you are feeling better now. It's been a pretty decent weekend for cycling so hope you didn't miss out.

    I like the flower pics- I found some fairly rare bee orchids near here while out and about today. I won't say exactly where they are here (in case they end up in someone's garden!) but if you want to photo them, do drop me an email and I'll let you know where they are. (just remove the dashes from my address- I gather dashes stop spam)
    gloworm-558-@-btinternet.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi SBC.

      I have finally gotten around to posting my flower pictures - if you want any originals then email me.

      There are quite a few Orchids over in Wicken Fen at the moment - had a delightful walk there last week. Pictures will appear soon.

      ---Jamie

      Delete