Sunday, May 2, 2010

A Random Route around Cambridge

Sometimes (actually quite often) I don't cycle for a purpose, I have no goal in mind - I just enjoy cycling around, seeing what has changed, seeing things I haven't noticed before and enjoying the warmth of the sun on my limbs. Talking about sun - I listened to a Podcast from BBC Radio 4 discussing the issue of Vitamin D insufficiency  - apparently 2/10 people and 9/10 of South Asian origin may be Vitamin D deficient. The problem is that we really don't have sufficient sun in the UK and that our lifestyle is an indoor lifestyle.  Apparently according to the link article it only takes 15 minute exposures  three times weekly with hands, arms and face uncovered.  


If the flowering of the Oilseed Rape crop is anything  to go by then there is plenty of sun to be had - in fact I notice that my arms and legs and face have gone quite brown. I have also got my "tiger feet".  I have been wearing my Keen Commuter Cycling Sandals - which I find great as you can cycle without socks and they do not rub, but have good protection - especially around the toes.  I find that metals pedals and toes are not a good combination over bumpy ground. This is the Church at Stow-Cum-Quy seen behind the bright yellow field.

P1090321_15_16_17_18_19_20_tonemapped.jpg

My meandering took me over to Fulbourn and then onto the Shelford Road up over the hills alongside the Gog Magog Hills - actually I am not sure if it is one hill or several? A quick look at Wikipedia confirms that it is several as perhaps the name would hint at. For this photograph I sneaked through the hedge on the Shelford Road - before the "top" and took a picture looking back at Fulbourn.

P1090272_66_67_68_69_70_71_tonemapped.jpg

From a similar point on the road - but this time looking across to the spires of Cambridge. The Cambridge University Library Tower stands out because of its rectangular nature - it is quite a landmark at 48m in height.


P1090275_3_4_tonemapped.jpg

As I cycled around I dipped back into Cambridge towards Addenbrooke's Hospital - and took a route I have seen signed but never cycled along. It leaves the Addenbrooke's site on the West Corner (off the Sustrans 11 route) along a byway towards Trumpington. It is unusual because you have to cross the Cambridge to London railway line by walking across the two lines. I must check to see whether there are warning lights the next time I venture out that way. It feels rather odd to be on such a main railway line. I guess the usage has not justified a bridge in the past - however I am surprised. The route also crosses the various bits of the Cambridge Guided Busway (CGB) that link Cambridge Railway Station, Addenbrooke's and Trumpington.


Here is the CGB heading South towards Trumpington - I guess this highlights the advantage of the CGB - most of the time there are tracks - but it is quite easy to have bits that are ordinary road to allows buses to join and leave without the need for the complications  of a points and signalling system as would be required for a standard railway line.



P1090286_0_1_2_3_4_5_tonemapped.jpg

This picture shows the CGB spur off to the Addenbrooke's Hospital site. Although the CGB runs to one side of the main railway line before heading in a more easterly direction the spur has to cross back towards the hospital as well as the 6th Form College - Long Road College. I guess the college students will also provide a customer base.


There looks to be some work here - I am not sure if there has been a date published on when this bit of the CGB is expected to be complete.  There has been so much noise on the Northern section that this bit has fallen below the radar!



P1090293_87_88_89_90_91_92_tonemapped.jpg

I have a slight confession to make.  I am getting later and later on getting my Posts out close to the actual day I cycled.  At the moment I am sitting in a hotel (Sunday 2nd May) in San Jose, California having woken up at 3am.  As I had Posted a draft of the pictures it was easy for me to use the Blogger on-line Editor to add the words.  


The sun here is wonderful - or rather it was yesterday when I flew in - not so warm though - only 15C.

1 comment: