Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Doom, Gloom and punctures

With around 5 weeks to go I am trying to get a cycle ride in on most days. On Sunday when I went out on my Longstaff bike the back wheel started making some rather odd noises. The last time it was in for repairs I was warned that the wheel bearings were fairly worn - that was 6,000Km/3,750miles ago so it is not too surprising that it is starting to complain. As I was nipping out for a quick ride between various conference calls I took my town bike instead (Marin San Anselmo). I bought this to avoid having to take my more expensive Longstaff into Cambridge - and yes I have had a bike stolen, from the Cambridge railway station and yes it was locked. I reported it to the British Transport police but did not get it back. Compared to the Longstaff this bike has the benefit of a slightly more upright riding position and the seatpost has built-in suspension which helps when negotiating the cattle grids on the cycle paths into town. Unlike the Longstaff which is made of steel this bike's frame is made from aluminium. The bike, although not as fast as the Longstaff is quite comfortable and I have cycled over 160Km/100miles in a day on it. The main problem is that I get discomfort in my hands as the Marin offers fewer hand positions than the Longstaff.

As I was cycling out to the Fens, along a very gritty path laid through a field, thinking about the financial problems of the world I had my own deflationary moment. The back tyre started to go soft which I tend to notice as an effect on the steering. At first I hoped for the best, but it quickly became clear, as the back then started squirming about, that it had punctured. Normally I carry a pump, tyre levers, patches and a spare inner tube - but because I was just "nipping" out hadn't bothered. I managed to cycle slowly for a few miles and then walked the last 2 miles home. I did get back in time for for my conference call. The tyre was fairly worn and cycling on it whilst flat didn't help so I replaced it with a sturdier tyre. Next time I will also remember a puncture repair kit!

This is the cycle path. it is great to be away from the cars, but I do tend to get a lot of punctures around here. I have seen deer cross the path though and I often see herons along the waterways near here.


No comments:

Post a Comment